Sunday, November 16, 2008

Big Blue Storm Sunday 16th Nov

Yesterday afternoon (Sunday 16th November) we had a phenomenally large blue storm rip through the south east of Queensland. Areas from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast were blown apart with the worst areas hit including Ferny Hills, Everton and The Gap, with Canungra having BOM reports of a tornado which is really not surprising when you see the footage of rotating blue clouds and high winds and hailstones.



I was at home with the kids on an extremely HOT day - due mainly to the high humidity. After Jessi got sunburnt having breakfast out the back at 9am we decided the UV was too high for us to be out in it. At about 3-pm we went outside to rejig the chicken pen and this is when we sat out the back and watched the "mothership" roll over.

TV Newsroom Floods - Severe Storms, 16 November, 2008

YouTube playlist of footage from this storm.(15 plus videos compiled into a playlist)

News galleries | Storms ravage southeast | News.com.au
(This next image made it to the storm gallery)

Gustfront moments later and its getting dark here


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G'day Kaety, "Proggy" (from Austnet) here in the states,

I read about this storm and then I saw multiple videos of this event on YouTube - what an incredible storm. The first thing I did to learn more about this supercell, first-hand, was message "Stingray" - I knew that both you and he would have a good meteorological perspective on this storm. I just discovered your own blog when I looked on the Australian Severe Weather Forum's discussions of the storm.

Right now I'm in the process of writing a blogpost of my own blog about this storm. I'm trying to assemble a list of about 20-30 of the best YouTube videos that recorded this spectacular, and very destructive storm. I was happy to learn that you, Stingey and family came out of this storm without too much damage to your property. I have another coder friend who lives in Redcliffe - inexplicably he slept through the whole thing! :)

-Cheers, Rob N. (Washington State, USA)